Meat is the standard topping for ramen, but have you tried tofu? By cooking grilled tofu with sugar, soy sauce, mirin, and sake, tofu becomes a sweet and flavorful choice of topping! For this recipe, we used our Premium Vegetarian Shoyu Ramen. Recommended for noodle lovers who want a healthy recipe!
- 2 servings Premium Vegetarian Shoyu Ramen
- 2 packets Premium Vegetarian Shoyu Ramen Soup Base
- 2 ½ cups Hot Water (1 ¼ cups per serving)
- 6 pieces Tofu Steaks you can follow our recipe below
- 4 Shishito Peppers
- 1 Soft or Hard-Boiled Egg cut in half
- Green Onions chopped
- 1 Dry Seaweed (Nori) cut to ¼ strips
Tofu Steak (2 servings)
- 1 Tofu (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 3~4 tbsp Flour (or Potato/Corn Starch)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Mix together sugar, soy sauce, mirin and sake on a separate bowl.
- Wrap the tofu with a kitchen towel and microwave for 3 minutes. Remove the towel and let the tofu cool down.
- Slice the tofu to 6 rectangular pieces and cover with flour (or potato/corn starch). Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and place the tofus to grill. Once the tofus are grilled, add in the mixture from Step 2 to cook together. The Tofu steak is now ready!
- Using a grill or a frying pan, grill the shishito peppers.
- Following the package instructions, boil the noodles and prepare the soup. Place the soup in a bowl.
- Once the noodles are cooked, place the noodles in the bowl. Add tofu steak, shishito peppers, boiled eggs, green onion, and seaweed as toppings, and you are done!