- 1 Chicken Breast
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Ginger minced
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Hot Water enough to cover the chicken
- Mix together soy sauce, sake, mirin, honey, and ginger in a small bowl.
- Cut open the thick part of the chicken breast to even out the thickness.
- With a fork, puncture the chicken breast all over. Using a butcher’s twine (cooking string), roll, wrap, and tie up the breast.
- Heat oil on a frying pan, grilling both sides of the breast. This is to trap in the umami flavor.
- Put together chicken breast and the marinade from Step 1 inside a Ziploc bag. Close the bag while keeping the air out. The bag should be airtight.
- Place the bag inside the rice cooker and add in hot water to cover. The hot water should be enough to cover the chicken. The recommended temperature is below 158°F (70°C).
- Close the lid, and keep warm for 2 hours.
- Take the bag out of the rice cooker and let cool. Once it is cooled down, slice the chicken and the chashu is ready!*Please use a Ziploc bag that's able to handle 158°F (70°C).*Please make sure the rice cooker you are using is compatible for slow cooking with items such as Ziploc bag.